WalkSpace is an alternative walking app for the iPhone to let you navigate the city in a new and unexpected way.
Routes from James Joyces Ulysses are remapped to your current location and walks can be shared with photos and a route map.
WalkSpace is designed to take you places you mightn't otherwise go, to see familiar places in a new light opening a window to chance encounters and experiences.
It is available as a free download from the Apple Appstore. Click here to download or search for walkspace in the appstore from your phone.
- To start WalkSpace click the Walkspace icon.
- To start a walk click the walking icon and a walk route is generated based on your current location. Each walk has waypoints along the route and as you navigate your route you will be given the option to take a photograph at each one which will then appear as a pop-up on tapping the waypoint pin. Waypoints are numbered consecutively and you can follow them in this order or not as you see fit.
- When you are finished you can email a map of your walk and photographs taken by clicking the mail icon.
Yes you can change the route by going to iPhone settings scroll down and select Walkspace. Select Walk Chosen to choose from a selection of preset routes. To use your own route select My Walk URL for more information on this option click here. New preset routes will be added over time. Click here for help on selecting a new route.
If WalkSpace remembers your old walk in IOS 4 you will need to restart the app using the following method:
– Double tap the Home button to bring up the Multitasking bar
– Press and hold anywhere on the multitasking bar until the icons on it start to wiggle.
– While they are wiggling, each icon has a Minus sign symbol above it.
– Press the Minus symbol above WalkSpace to close it down.
- Restart WalkSpace as normal and it will start a new Walk
Sometimes in areas of poor coverage the phone takes too long to find it's position and WalkSpace will use that inaccurate position to start the route. This is fixed by shutting down the app using the instructions above, test the positioning by opening maps and locating yourself when you are happy that the phones knows where you are restart the app.